Positions with Members and Committees
House Vacancy Announcement and Placement Service
The House Vacancy Announcement and Placement Service ("HVAPS") assists House members and committees fill staff vacancies by posting job vacancies and maintaining a resume bank of candidates seeking employment.
Learning About Vacancies
HVAPS publishes the House Employment Bulletin as a resource for House offices and committees wishing to advertise staff vacancies. Offices wishing to advertise vacancies in the Bulletin should contact HVAPS for more information.
The Bulletin is distributed by email once a week. Subscribe to receive the weekly House Employment Bulletin.
The printed Bulletin is also available for pick-up in three locations:
- House Vacancy Announcement and Placement Service Office, Longworth House Office Building, Suite B-235, (202) 226-5836
- First Call Service Center, Longworth House Office Building, Suite B227, (202) 225-8000
- CAO Human Resources Office, Ford House Office Building, Suite H2-102, (202) 225-2926
HVAPS maintains a resume bank of candidates seeking employment with the House. HVAPS provides confidential referral of resumes if/when House offices request them. To become registered in the resume bank, applicants must complete the Resume Submission Form, including the resume section.
Each House Office is an independent employer and responsible for candidate screening, interviewing and selection, as well as job requirements, compensation, and conditions of employment. HVAPS does not possess hiring authority, nor does it control salaries or job requirements. Staff positions in House Offices are classified as legislative, administrative, or press, however, specific titles, and duties may vary. Offices within the United States House of Representatives are equal opportunity employers.
HVAPS is nonpartisan and administered by the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer of the United States House of Representatives.
Resume Bank Submission Form Instructions
- Open the Resume Submission Form (Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded from Adobe, is required to use the form.)
- Use Adobe Reader to fill in the form fields.
- Paste your resume into the large text fields on pages 3–5 of the form.
- Remember to add a digital signature at the end of the application on page 2. (Learn about how to apply a digital signature in Adobe Reader.)
- Save a copy for your records.
- The Resume Submission Form may be submitted via email to ResumeService@mail.house.gov or via fax at 202-226-6637. Resumes are kept on file for 90 days.