|

For Immediate Release
September 23, 1999
REP. DICKS APPLAUDS KEYPORT LEASE BRINGING 90 NEW JOBS TO KITSAP
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Navy’s decision to sign a five-year lease with Raytheon Systems Corp. for facilities at NUWC Keyport "represents a creative and cost-effective way to consolidate torpedo maintenance functions, saving money and keeping jobs in the Pacific Northwest," U.S. Rep. Norm Dicks ([D-Wash,] said Thursday.
The congressman, a member of the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, said the "public/private partnership" arrangement at Keyport, approved by the Navy this week "brings together torpedo production and support activities within the base, and it allows for a much more efficient sharing of technological expertise." Previously the Raytheon work took place in the company’s facilities across Puget Sound at Mukilteo, but the firm had already made the decision to leave that location and seek suitable space at another site – perhaps even out of our area, the congressman explained.
"I am impressed by the ability of the Navy leadership – both at Keyport and at the Pentagon – to seize this opportunity to bring these public and private assets together, lowering the torpedo life-cycle costs and providing an enhanced opportunity for value-added work between Keyport and the contractor," said Rep. Dicks.
The move of Raytheon facilities to Kitsap will bring about 90 jobs from Mukilteo to Keyport, boosting the company’s employment in Kitsap County to about 210 jobs, the congressman added.
Home >> Newsroom >> Press Releases
|