skip to textgo to navigation
March 29, 2004 Contact: Robert Reilly
Deputy Chief of Staff
Office: (717) 600-1919
Sue Mitchem
PA Hunger Action Center
Office: (717) 233-6075
 
  For Immediate Release    

Platts Continues His Efforts to Assist Pennsylvania's Needy Children

Congressman Supports Pilot Program for Pennsylvania

Washington, D.C.-Last week the U.S. House of Representatives approved, by a vote of 419-5, the reauthorization of the school lunch program (H.R. 3873) through 2008, while adding a pilot program sponsored by Congressman Todd Platts (PA-19) which is designed to increase participation in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) for Pennsylvania's rural areas.

"Only one in three needy children in Pennsylvania have access to the nutritional help that they need during the summer months," said Platts.  "Those numbers drop to less than one in seven when the metropolitan Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas are removed from consideration.  We can, and must, do better."

Many of the schools, local government agencies and non-profits in Pennsylvania's rural areas with relatively high rates of poverty do not currently participate in the SFSP, which states that 50 percent of children in a given area must be eligible for free or reduced price school meals for programs in that area to openly enroll children. This is largely because rural programs often have high overhead costs related to lower population density and the need to separately qualify each child for the program.  The pilot program would examine the effectiveness of lowering this "area eligibility" for SFSP from 50 percent to 40 percent in rural areas of Pennsylvania, thereby opening more areas to open enrollment. 

The Pennsylvania Hunger Action Center has estimated that lowering area eligibility to 40 percent could boost local sponsorship of SFSP, thereby increasing the number of children being served.  Congressman Platts

will strive to retain the pilot program in the final version of the bill.  H.R. 3873 is now pending consideration in the Senate.

Sue Mitchem, communications coordinator for the Pennsylvania Hunger Action Center, applauded the House for passage of the pilot program.

"When school lunches cease in June, many families struggle to fill the gap," Mitchem said. "Lowering area eligibility to 40 percent will mean less red tape for schools and local organizations that choose to sponsor the SFSP.  As a result, we expect more needy children will receive a nutritional supplement over the summer and return to school ready to learn."

This pilot program continues Congressman Platts' efforts to meet the nutritional needs of Pennsylvania's rural children.  In a recent letter to President George W. Bush co-signed by 11 other members of Pennsylvania's Congressional delegation, Congressman Platts requested an increase in the SFSP and the Child Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) by $1.84 billion over ten years.

President Bush's 2005 budget requests $12.03 billion for Child Nutrition programs, an increase of more than $800 million since 2003.  This increase is well needed and Congressman Platts will continue to work with the Bush Administration to address this critical issue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

###