June 28, 2012
Susan Davis Statement on Supreme Court Decision on
Affordable Care Act
WASHINGTON- Congresswoman Susan Davis (D-San Diego) issued the following statement on the Supreme Court decision upholding the Affordable Care Act.
“The Supreme Court came down in favor of San Diegans and the American people. Those paying for their health insurance should not continue to have to pay for those who don’t. While the individual mandate is about all Americans being responsible for their own health care, the entire Affordable Care Act (ACA) is about providing health care access to everyone.
“So many Americans are already benefitting from the new health care law.
- Adults and children with pre-existing conditions are able to buy health insurance
- Seniors are saving on prescription drugs
- Young adults are able to stay on their parents’ health care plans
- Americans are receiving preventive care for free
- Small businesses are getting tax breaks to help cover their employees
“I’m sure they are relieved that these benefits will not be taken away from them.
“The ACA has hospitals and providers looking at ways to deliver better and more affordable health care services. When fully implemented, the ACA will help Americans who can’t afford insurance with credits to cover premium costs.
“This is a historic day and we are moving in the right direction. Now is the time for us to keep moving forward and make sure this law works for all.”