Member and Committee Offices
Position Available: Internship
Vacancy Announcement Number: MEM-190-17
Office/Location: U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
Closing Date: August 6, 2017
Salary Level/Range: Unpaid
Proposed Starting Date: Immediate
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
COMMITTEE ON HOMELAND SECURITY – Democratic Staff
Fall 2017 Intern
Interns are responsible for providing Senior and Professional Staff with legislative, policy and administrative support. The individual is required to demonstrate exceptional research and organizational skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Performs legislative and policy research.
• Assists with the coordination and production of hearings and bill markups by:
o Researching background on witnesses and hearing topics.
o Finalizing documents for Members and Committee Staff.
o Delivering said documents to Members of the Committee.
• Oversees physical and digital Correspondence to and from the Committee.
• Conducts clerical work for the Office Manager and staff by:
o Answering Phones
o General office tidiness and maintenance
• Represents the Committee on Homeland Security during legislative and policy negotiations, discussions and other activities.
Must be at least a sophomore in college. Coursework and experience in Political Science, Government Affairs, Homeland Security Issues or a related field is preferred. Strong organizational skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; the ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines. Must be familiar with Microsoft Office.
Applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com.