Member and Committee Offices
Position Available: Press Secretary
Vacancy Announcement Number: MEM-272-17
Office/Location: U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
Closing Date: September 7, 2017
Salary Level/Range: Commensurate with experience
Proposed Starting Date: Immediate
TITLE: Press Secretary
REPORTS TO: Member, Chief of Staff and Communications Director
• to manage and coordinate all communications activities, including media contacts, for the Member and the office.
• at least 1 year of congressional experience;
• strong academic credentials;
• strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
• strong oral communication skills;
• understanding of print and broadcast media;
• thorough knowledge of legislative process;
• knowledge of current issues and events in which the Member is involved;
• ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the representation of the Member's positions on policy issues;
• availability to work long hours;
• ability to work well under pressure; and
• ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others.
• acts as the formal spokesperson and media liaison for the Member;
• develops and implements media and communications strategy for the Member;
• remains abreast of current legislative and non-legislative issues about which the Member may be questioned;
• evaluates current events and media reports in the district and the nation for their impact on the Member;
• provides ideas and advice on the effect in the media of the Member's actions and legislative activities;
• writes speeches for the Member; and
• performs other duties as assigned.
All interested candidates should send their resumes to Position.MN05@mail.house.gov.