Member and Committee Offices
Position Available: Staff Assistant
Vacancy Announcement Number: MEM-273-17
Office/Location: U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
Closing Date: September 8, 2017
Salary Level/Range: Commensurate with experience
Proposed Starting Date: Immediate
Congressman Jimmy Gomez is seeking to immediately fill a full-time job opening for a Staff Assistant position in his district office.
As the primary administrative staff member in the District Office, Staff Assistant duties include (but are not limited to): answer phones; handle mail and faxes; greet and direct visitors; maintain order and efficiency of front and back offices; order supplies; organize office files; coordinate vendor service needs; research the status of some legislation; draft some correspondence. Work on special projects as needed. In the absence of the District Scheduler, the Staff Assistant will serve as back-up and help facilitate any scheduling requests.
Casework duties include (but are not limited to): Assist constituents with their individual cases pertaining to federal agencies. As the “front-line” caseworker, help constituents with non-federal questions to find appropriate resources.
This position may require work on weekends and holidays.
• Strong written, communication, analytical, and organization skills; an ability to relate well with individuals of diverse backgrounds; impeccable customer service manners.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Good computer skills, including proficiency and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and Power Point.
• Candidate must have an understanding of government agencies and structure (local, county, state and federal).
• Must be able to work efficiently and effectively as a member of a team, be able to meet strict deadlines and balance multiple projects. Attention to detail and accuracy is essential.
• Candidate should demonstrate a positive attitude, commitment to excellence, upbeat demeanor and flexibility.
• Salary will depend on the experience of the applicant.
• Bilingual skills a plus.
All interested individuals should email a cover letter and resume to Gomez.CAjobs@mail.house.gov. No phone calls please.