Federal Tort Claims Act

This memorandum is intended to familiarize Members, Officers and employees of the House generally with the Federal Tort Claims Act (“FTCA”) and the protections it provides. This memorandum is not intended, however, to answer all questions or issues that may arise. Therefore, we encourage you to contact the Office of General Counsel (“OGC”) immediately with any additional questions on this topic. OGC can only provide assistance to Members, Officers, and employees of the House. Persons who are employed by other federal government entities should call their entity or agency for assistance.

Under the FTCA, the federal government acts as a self-insurer, and recognizes liability for the negligent or wrongful acts or omissions of its employees acting within the scope of their official duties. The United States is liable to the same extent an individual would be in like circumstances. The statute substitutes the United States as the defendant in such a suit and the United States—not the individual employee—bears any resulting liability.

A. Making a Claim Under the FTCA

Individuals who are injured or whose property is damaged by the wrongful or negligent act of a federal employee acting in the scope of his or her official duties may file a claim with the government for reimbursement for that injury or damage. To state a valid claim, the claimant must demonstrate that (1) personal injury or property damage was by a federal government employee; (2) the employee was acting within the scope of his official duties; (3) the employee was acting negligently or wrongfully; and (4) the negligent or wrongful act proximately caused the injury or damage. The claimant must also provide documentation establishing that his claim satisfies all the elements of the FTCA.

A person wishing to make a claim for reimbursement under the FTCA for damage or injury caused by a House employee must first file an administrative claim with the House. OGC will provide a potential claimant with a claim form and inform him as to the required documentation. Please notify OGC immediately if an event occurs which you believe may give rise to an FTCA claim.

B. The FTCA in Lieu of a Certificate of Insurance

Members may be asked to provide a certificate of insurance for the purpose of entering into a district office lease or for securing space in which to conduct a town hall meeting or other official event. The House does not carry a private insurance policy and generally does not permit Members to use the MRA to pay for a private insurance policy for these types of meetings or events. OGC can provide a letter explaining the protections of the FTCA, and asking that the letter be accepted in lieu of a certificate of insurance.

115th Congress Office Lease Forms

115th Congress Office Vehicle Lease Forms

115th Congress Storage Lease Forms

114th Congress Office Lease Forms

114th Congress Office Vehicle Lease Forms

114th Congress Storage Lease Forms

Note: All forms and letters are in Portable Document Format (PDF). Download a free PDF Reader.

From the General Counsel

Please call the Office of the General Counsel at 202-225-9700 to request these letters.